My very favorite product that I use with every single music-related thing that I do is my iPad! I have had it for a year and a half now and love it! I use it for my private teaching, classroom teaching, worship leading and accompanying. Here are specific ways I use it:
Private Teaching: I have a desktop, which obviously doesn't transport easily to my studio. So, I use my iPad for so many things while teaching my piano students. I use it for its obvious uses such as calendar, YouTube videos and email. But there are so many apps that help me in other ways, and so many of them are FREE! I have a rhythm app that gives rhythmic examples, so that I can have my students practice rhythm. The Dropbox app is also a huge asset as I can access files that are on my computer while in my studio. I can also use apps for searching for sheet music. My favorite is Sheet Music Direct.
Classroom Teaching: My favorite use for my iPad in the classroom is the Plan Book app (I will have a post about Plan Book very soon). It allows me to view and edit my lesson plans. It is so convenient to have right there by my side while I teach. And of course, I use it to show videos or play music.
Worship Leading: I upload my chord charts to my iPad and plug them into a setlist app. It is perfect for last minute setlist changes and keeps me from lugging around a notebook filled with chord charts. The app can also keep track of when a song was last used, which keeps me from using the same song too often.
Accompanying: This is probably the coolest way that I use my iPad. I upload my music to my iPad and plug it into a sheet music app. On top of that, I bought an AirTurn pedal that connects to my iPad through bluetooth. While playing, I can simply tap the pedal, and it turns my page! It's a pianist's lifesaver!
I will try to give some detailed reviews about some of the apps that I mentioned above. But I just wanted to give you a brief overview of what the iPad can do for you! It is so nice to have, because you can take it anywhere. Because it is mobile, I end up using it even at home instead of my desktop for a lot of things. If you can afford it, I certainly recommend buying one of fantastic gadgets!
If you already have an iPad, how do you use it in your teaching, worship leading or other music activities?

No comments:
Post a Comment